The SPED Board of Directors manages the business affairs of SPED. For details on the Board's responsibilities and operation, see the SPED Bylaws and Constitution. Excerpts from the Bylaws are listed below.
1) Board meetings are generally conducted every six weeks.
2) The board secretary emails notice of the next meeting one week prior to the meeting.
3) Board members may phone into the meetings.
4) Lunch is provided to those attending in person.
5) A toll-free number will be provided to any board member who must phone in to participate in the meeting.
6) Communication between board meetings is chiefly through emails and phone calls.
7) Any board member not present for three consecutive meetings, will be asked to resign from the board.
7) You must be a SPED Member to participate as a board member.
EPCs are invited to consider sending a representative to serve on the Board; if you are interested in nominating an employee for a Board committee, please email
Board of Directors
Training and Certification Committees
- Establish 4 levels of skills and knowledge for Professionsl Piping Designers (PPD)
- Educate members in process pland layout
- Test members and certify skill level
Excerpts from the Bylaws Relating to the Board of Directors
The business, property and affairs of the Society shall be managed by the Board of Directors. The detailed management of the affairs of the Society shall be exercised by the President and Executive Director of the Society under the authority of the Board of Directors. The President, Executive Vice President, and Executive Director shall execute the policies and decisions of the Board, subject to the Constitution and Bylaws of the Society.
All questions coming before the Society, its governing bodies and committees shall be decided by a majority of the votes cast except as otherwise provided by the Constitution and Bylaws. Each Member, other than Student Members, shall be entitled to one vote on all questions submitted to the membership of the Society.
Organization and Terms of Board Members
President: Two Years
Executive Vice President: Two Years
Treasurer who is elected by the Board of Directors and length of term shall be at their discretion.
Treasurer Elected by the Board of Directors and length of term shall be at the discretion of the Board of Directors
Executive Director term of office shall begin at the close of the annual meeting at which the officer’s election is announced and shall continue until a successor qualifies.
Two Vice Presidents and at least two Directors shall be elected each year.
President, Executive Vice President, Executive Director and Treasurer shall be elected at a board meeting at which a quorum of the Board of Directors is present.
An Executive Committee of the Board of Directors shall consist of the President, Executive Vice President, Vice Presidents, Treasurer, and the Executive Director. Within the limitation set by the Board of Directors, the Executive Committee shall act for and with the authority of the Board of Directors between its regular meetings.
There will be no limit to the number of terms any officer or director may serve.
SPED Past Presidents
Updated 13 May 2023