I graduated from U of H in 1987 with a BSME in Technology. I started to get a second degree in Process & Piping Design at University of Houston - Downtown campus some years later. At the time, Piping Design was not available as an undergraduate program. But, l found myself overwhelmed supporting a family of six and working 40 to 50 hr/wk. Well, time have changed and some colleges offer on-line courses; in lieu of, taking the courses on campus.



SPED developed online piping design courses, challenging exams and programs like the PPD 100% Club. These efforts help pipers achieve excellence and document their skills with Professional Piping Designer (PPD) Certification, which is the same program that University of Houston – Technology offered back in the 1980’s and 90’s. 


For example, University of Houston Technology no longer offers the old popular Undergraduate (BSME) Technology Degrees programs in (HVAC, Manufacturing, or Process & Piping Design). 


However, you may still apply for your Graduate (Masters) Degree in Technology, in the following programs.



To apply you will need to do the following before admission:



Once accepted you will need to maintain a cumulative overall GPA of at least 3.0. Students who fail to maintain good academic standing will be subject to a sanction of graduate academic probation, graduate academic suspension, or graduate academic dismissal. The old “Three C Rule and you’re out!”


Here’s an example for the Mechanical Engineering Technology Degree:


Well, I’ve given this a lot of thought over the years. In my case, it will take me four to five years (approx $25K) while working full time to achieve my masters degree. Classes are not on line and that means driving to campus every day. I could get my masters after I retire and if I decide to go back to work. Yes, I could get my masters in two years if I were to retire or during an economic downturn. Some people like to work and will never retire! Maybe, I’m one of those people. My recommendation is to get your masters while you’re young or if you have the time/money to do so. Better yet, get SPED Certified with a PPD in Piping Design. This is a more achievable option and is work related. Get your (PE) Professional Engineer license (if desired) or (PMP) Project Management Certified. Having a PMP is highly desired for project managers or piping leads who might want to become a manager. 


James Lindlof

SPED Houston Chapter President